Criminal checks on menu after paedophile outed
Herald Sun Wednesday September 14 2016
Fast-food chain McDonald's will introduce compulsory criminal background checks for its employees after new senator Derryn Hinch outed a convicted paedophile working in a Sydney restaurant. The former broadcaster used parliamentary privilege last night to name the convicted child molester who was employed at a McDonald's and Pizza Hut store in Western Sydney.
Senator Hinch claimed the paedophile was offering to drive teenage boys home from work despite a mother - whose son had been interfered with by the man when he managed a canteen at a local baseball club - alerting his employer. "She was virtually told to go jump. Told he was an employee, had a right to work there, and basically go away." Senator Hinch told the Senate.
He also claimed that local police told the mother "not to mention the paedophile's name in public or she could be in trouble."
"His name went on to the sex offenders register but, of course, that is secret. Only top brass police have access to it," Senator Hinch said. Last month, the 72-year-old senator contacted the McDonald's outlet in Penrith, prompting the company to overhaul its hiring policy. He also alerted the nearby Pizza Hut where the convicted paedophile was still employed and he was sacked for lying on his original employment documents.
"We raised many questions about the absence of criminal background checks and were told that when people across Australia applied for positions with McDonald's ... they were only asked: 'Have you been convicted of a criminal offence?'," Senator Hinch said. "The applicants were given a choice to answer yes or no." He said McDonald's would now implement compulsory criminal background checks for applicants over 18 within six to eight weeks.
The Victorian senator - twice jailed for contempt of court and three times convicted of breaching suppression orders - named paedophiles in his maiden speech.